oy
First off, I need to apologise. Some of you probably feel as though I am ignoring you, but trust me, I am not. I have been (and continue to be) really busy with schoolwork: essays and exams. So please do not take offense. Give me one week, and I will be back in the game.
On Sunday, I went out for dinner with a very good friend of mine. Three summers ago we were inseparable-- convinced we were the same person. We even had the same defense mechanisms. Anyways, long story short, we both moved to the same city for uni., but unfortunately we have two very different lives and hardly ever see each other. This was the first time we had seen each other since September. Anyways, she was supposed to go to some concert with a friend of her's, but unfortunately her (my friend's friend) grandfather past away, so I was asked to go instead. All that my friend knew about this concert was that it was "the Trans Siberian Orchestra"-- a rock orchestra. We both agreed it sounded neat, and we anxiously waited for Tuesday night.
Let's just say it was interesting. Or painful. One or the other.
I ended up sitting through two and a half hours of Christmas music. For some, that would be great, "YAY holiday spirit!" But for me, I have no Christmas spirit and no interest in Christmas music. And let’s face it, unless you have a sentimental attachment to the stuff (which I do not), it is just bad. Because yes, dare I say it (and sorry if this offends), Christmas music is bad.
I will admit that the "rock" aspect to the orchestra (which by the way was a hole 8 instruments + 3 guitars and drums) was a neat idea. Only because of the venue, the sound quality was just disastrous. And like previously stated, unless you have a sentimental attachment to Christmas carols, it just can't be good.
The highlight of the night, was Carmina Burana-- the one non-Christmas song (not counting Pachelbel’s Canon-- with Xmas lyrics, and Beethoven’s 9th, thrown into an Xmas melody [which too was actually pretty good]), only the whole song lasted no more than 3 minutes, and was actually quite frightening.
Oh and of course it had all the needed stereotypes for a rockin' family Christmas show: the lead guitarist from Texas (?), the scanky, slutty girls who have bad voices but like to shake there thing (for all the dads out there), and the token African American with that deep, musky, ‘sexy’ voice. Yep, it was memorable.
However, I will say this: they probably had the best lights of any concert I have ever been too-- they even had lasers. But sadly, it was not enough to carry the show.
Disappointing because the idea of a rock and roll orchestra is awesome!
For example, “La Jolie Orchestre” form Montréal is superb!!
Anyways, onto today. Well, today I feel like crap. I am sick. Which sucks because of all the work I need to catch up on because of my night out.
Oh but one good thing about today is that we started learning about the Eastern Traditions in my world religions class... So we spent and hour talking about karma and stuff... it was really neat, and I feel SO much smarter!
Oh AND my good friend may be coming to visit from Scotland in January! YAY!
All right, off to shower, study and bed I go... hoping I can sleep away these flu-like symptoms.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home