our retired explorer
This summer, when I found out that most people tend not to have a "favourite explorer", I realised I was different. I mean I know I am an odd person, but it was not until the look of pure shock on my friends' faces when I was gleefully pining over a new encyclopedia of exploration, that it was brought to my attention just how strange I am.
Whatever, I like being extraordinary.
In any case, my favourite explorer is Sir Ernest Shackleton. While he may not have been the best husband or father, he was definitely an incredible leader and adventurer: putting the lives of his men first and foremost. In my opinion, the story of Shackleton and his Voyage upon the Endurance, is the most exhilarating, tragic, awe-inspiring, and incredible adventure story of all time. I suggest you all read about it. And then, you will see how Shackleton's story and the beauty and power of Antarctica have forever changed my life.
My university has been the target of several anti-Semitic and homophobic acts n the last month. It is very upsetting. Unlike some people, I don't have an "it won't happen here" approach to this kind of thing-- because I know too much. Instead, I tend to have an "I hope it won't happen here, because I like to think society has finally learned from its mistakes." I am tired of being wrong. It seems as though people never seem to learn form history, no matter how many times it repeats itself.
I am tired of living in a world of fear and hate.
The world needs to change. Now.
[music: The Tower (Vienna Tang)]


1 Comments:
You are so cute. Seriously. I will definitely read up on Shackleton when I get the chance. :)
Oh, and I keep meaning to e-mail you...and then I forget. So for the time being, I just want to let you know that I'm currently listening to Feist's Let It Die and really enjoying it. Yay!
Post a Comment
<< Home