Sunday, March 06, 2005

good weekend

What a weekend it has been!
First, foodstuffs:
I have discovered two really neat cafes in Kensington. The first, called Shai-- which is the better of the two, has really yummy Indian food for 2$ (or less)!! Roti, Somosas, Aloo Paratha. The other, Moonbeam cafe, has tones of really neat coffee/chocolate/milkshake beverages.
Overdraught Irish Pub at Front at University has really tasty chips with sea salt. The atmosphere is really nice, very pubby—but with class—including bookshelves full of neat books. A great place to spend the afternoon.

Tune-wise, it has also been an awesome weekend.
I was finally able to go way down south to pick up Final Fantasy's new cd. Good stuff. Beautiful stuff. I love string instruments. buy it for youself!

So Friday night was the infamous Frames gig. It was at Operahouse, a neat venue—with mysterious balconies and a “dance” floor that looked straight out of any Italian musical. Mark Geary opened. He was good. Very good. My kind of music… but a little too blah. Nevertheless he did a very good job—well as god a job as he could. The audience would not shut up. The poor guy had to keep asking people to be quiet, I’m convinced he cut his gig short—it couldn’t have been more than 20 minutes—and to top it all off, only three people clapped at the end including me and my friend. I was SO appalled, so disgraced by my fellow Torontonians. Luckily he walked by us in the break and we followed him to the merchandise stand, where he was talking to the lady running the table—the wife of one of the Frames. No, we didn’t just stock him, we went up and talked to him—to congratulate him and apologies on behalf of our peers. He was very nice, and pretended to not be bothered—only we heard him talking to the lady and we KNOW he was bothered. I suggest everyone buy his single Beautiful from the itunes music store, or some other dealer. It’s some good stuff.
Then The Frames played. A fantastic performance, as usual. My third time seeing the band and for the first time I could actually hear/understand what Glenn was saying! Partly because I think he has become more confident talking on stage, and partly because the resonance (whatever it is called) must have been lower than normal. The Frames, too, often had to ask people to shut up. They claimed it was not the Canadians acting up, but the drunken Irish. I have a hard time believing that in Ireland bands come across that kind of disrespect regularly—but maybe I am mistaken. ANYWAYS they did a really good job, despite the distraction. How could they not?

I love the Frames.

I also read two plays this weekend, foe the Theatre Committee. Oleana and Stillborn Lover. The latter of which I surprisingly enjoyed.

More later….

1 Comments:

At 10:34 PM, Blogger Robin said...

Thanks! I really appreciate your message. It makes me so happy that you actually post replies. No one ever does except you and afarin... It makes me happy to hear that my ramblings are interesting to someone else but me.

Can you believe that I actually had the guts to go up to an Irish singer/songwriter/musican and TALK?! So not me. But yep I did, AND it was even MY idea. Dude, I am growing up.

On Thursday I'll check to see if there are any concerts that weekend... It would be great to see you concert or no concert. We can go to the Shaghai Cowgirl for lunch/dinner/snack

you made my night :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home