Stratford!
The first play my brother was in was called, The Other Children. The play was about 4 cousins/friends who were staying at one of the kid's (my brother's character's) Aunt's house (or more specifically her library). All the characters from the books come to life at night: alice, peter pan, the water boys, the pide-piper, playing cards, queen of hearts, little women, hook, etc. ANYWAYS, the girl who played the part of the aunt, Anne Sophie, was my hero. I was in such awe. There was something about the way she comported herself, or her voice, or maybe the fact that she was just SO incredibly talented.
Anyways, I haven't seen her in over a dozen years. But today I saw her in Stratford (for those of you who don't know, the Stratford festival is this AMAZING world renowned Canadian-theatre festival). Right, so, I went to see Noises Off!, by Michael Frayne, and she played the part of Poppy-- the Stage Manager (the play is a play inside a play). And once again she grabbed my complete and utter focus when she was onstage, and all I could think about is how I used to immatate some line or another of her's, from The Other Children, over and over again.
Noises Off! was incredible. The energy involved was beyond anything I could have imagined. The second act, in particular, was just absolutely spectacular. It was tragic, a bit sad, but beyond anything HYSTERICAL!
It turned into a good day. A day of monkeys (no naked mole rats however), childhood memories, laughter, theatre, and talk of my aspirations to become a professional clown.
I now bid you all adieu, and a bon soir!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home